When it comes to cooking, I’m definitely a believer in making things from scratch.
So my expectations for this recipe weren’t very high, considering it is based on boxed cake mix and canned frosting.
But after baking, I’m a believer–these whoopie pies are out-of this world–the cookies are crispy on the outside, crackly on top, moist and fudgy on the inside, so rich. Sandwiched with cream cheese frosting, they’re the ultimate indulgence. Move over, red velvet cake!
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Adapted from Let’s Dish
Makes 8 very large cookie sandwiches, or about 20 medium ones
• 1 box red velvet cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
• 2 large eggs
• ½ c canola oil
• 1 can cream cheese frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 2 cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, eggs, and oil.
3. Roll heaping tablespoons (or teaspoons) of dough into balls and place 2” apart on cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 10 min (6-7 min for smaller size), or until tops are crackled.
5. Cool completely before sandwiching together with frosting.
P.S.: I’m all into portion control and such, but really, I recommend going all out and making the big ones. Bigger is better!
Edited: The recipe is now linked to Lisa’s Sweet’s For a Saturday link party. Check it out!