100% vegan…super moist, fudgy “devil’s food” sandwich cookies sandwich with cool creamy peppermint frosting…For the longest time I have been trying to perfect the cakey whoopie pie cookie, to no avail. On a whim I decided to substitute applesauce for the oil in a chocolate cookie recipe, and voila! Cakey and delicious.
- substitute ice cream for frosting—mini ice cream sandwiches!
- try vanilla, peanut butter, or chocolate frosting
- or use ganache as a filling
Mini Chocolate Peppermint Whoopie Pies!
Makes 15 mini sandwich cookies
For the cookies:
- 1 ½ c flour
- ½ c cocoa powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ½ t salt
- ½ c unsweetened applesauce
- ½ c vanilla soymilk
- ¾ c brown sugar
For the peppermint frosting:
- ¼ c earth balance margarine, softened
- 1 c confectioner’s sugar
- ½ t vanilla
- ½ t peppermint extract
- soymilk as necessary
- red food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt
- In a small bowl mix applesauce, soymilk, and sugar. Add to dry ingredients, and stir together.
- Drop tablespoons of dough onto baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes (but do not overbake, they will dry out).
- Cool completely on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, make frosting:
- Beat margarine until fluffy, and beat in ½ c sugar. Add flavorings, food coloring and a splash of soymilk. Beat in remaining sugar until light and fluffy (add more soymilk if necessary).
- Assemble cookies: sandwich together 2 cookies with a dollop of frosting.
- Enjoy! If you try this recipe, be sure to leave a comment and tell me how it turned out!